Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cabo San Lucas-Day 2

Our second day in Cabo San Lucas we got up early and took a cab to Wal Mart. Yes, they have a Wal Mart, and also a Sam's and a Costco, which we were told you don't need a membership card to shop at. We bought some eggs, turkey bacon, bread, ham, cheese, mayonnaise, jelly, chips, salsa, some granola bars, milk, cokes, bottled water and beer. I wouldn’t recommend purchasing a large amount of beer. We actually bought too much. We purchased 2 cases, which would amount to 6 beers a piece per day, thinking we could drink it at the pool. We discovered later, to our dismay, you can’t take your own beer to the pool. So we ended up leaving a case in the refrigerator when we checked out 5 days later. I also wouldn’t recommend the Kellogg’s Special K granola bars we bought. They were not very flavorful, and we ended up disposing of them as well. I did notice that some things taste different in Mexico than here. The Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos, for example, have a noticeable jalapeno flavor to them. I would recommend purchasing lots of bottled water. I would try to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. I also used it to make coffee and brush my teeth, even though the resort claims the water is filtered and perfectly safe to use. I didn't want to take any chances. Since I burned really bad the day before, even though I had on sunscreen and was in the shade most of the day, we decided to buy some SPF 45 while we were here. I had forgotten to bring a hat, so I bought a white wide-brim hat at this fabulous hat store located in the shopping strip in front of the Wal Mart entrance for only $12. Two things I recommend you bring on a trip to Mexico is sunscreen with a high SPF and a hat to cover your face when out in the sun. I burned so bad that my upper lip and chin scabbed over. Not a pretty sight for prospective picture taking. After our purchases, we took another cab back to the hotel. There are several cabs waiting in the front, as well as porters that will help you load your purchase, for tips of course. I think our round trip cab fare cost us a total of $40 with tip, but including our purchase was totally worth the trip considering what we would pay to eat out 3 meals a day for 6 days. I want to take this time to tell you that the hotel we stayed at provided lotion, shampoo, and even cotton swabs and cotton balls. They did not, however, provide conditioner, so if you must have conditioner, as I do, I would bring my own or purchase it at Wal Mart. Make a list before you go, and do not forget anything, because one trip is enough hassle, which is why we got it out of the way early. Another item of importance to mention regarding ammenities at the hotel is the electical outlets. I read that many Mexico outlets have not been updated to accomodate three prong and polarized plugs. The Pueblo Bonito Sunset where we stayed however was fully furnished with polarized plugs so it was unnecessary to bring an adapter. I don't know about other hotels in Cabo San Lucas, but thought this information might be helpful when considering a hotel.

When we returned to the hotel the cart driver helped us load our groceries on the cart and even helped take them to our room. After we put our groceries away, we decided to go to the Sky Pool, which is one of 5 pools at the resort and is located behind the building we stayed in at the very top of the resort. It looks as if it spills right into the ocean and is absolutely breathtaking. When people told me that it looks like it runs right into the ocean I had no idea what that meant until we experienced it, and I was in awe. There we ran into our Texas friends, Colly and Cori, whom we met on the shuttle the day before. We also met another couple, Eric and Nicole, from Indiana. We all decided to go out eat downtown that night. Cab fare from the hotel to downtown is anywhere from $10 to $15, depending on who you get. If you pay in pesos you get a better deal. Sharing a cab with friends like we did makes it even cheaper. We ate at a restaurant called El Pescadora. They have fabulous food, mostly seafood, and I would recommend eating there at least once. Our friends, Eric and Nicole said they eat there every time they visit Cabo San Lucas. Outside the restaurant I was approached by this little boy selling these cute ceramic turtle necklaces. You know I’m a sucker for kids, and when he showed me how to blow in the turtle and it whistles I was sold. He wanted 60 pesos, but I informed him I only had 50 pesos on me and he said “I’ll take that.” After the transaction I later learned this was only $4.20 USD. I felt kind of bad after that. We then walked over to Cabo Wabo Cantina, which is the bar owned by Sammy Hagar. He was supposed to play that night for his birthday, but the show was cancelled because Sammy was sick. I guess he drank the water? We all went in for a drink, danced a little, took pictures, and bought souvenirs. It was a lot of fun and if you get a chance to go to Cabo San Lucas you have to make at least one trip to Cabo Wabo Cantina. But, don’t go on his birthday, unless you already purchased tickets months ahead of time or you “won’t have a chance in hell” of getting in, as we were told. They did sell about 150 tickets on the 10th , but you had to get in line at noon and wait for hours, something I did not want to do on my vacation. That sounds as fun as sitting through a time-share meeting.

Next blog: Day Three in Cabo

No comments:

Post a Comment