Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fish Tacos

I've had several people ask about my fish tacos, so I decided to post the recipe, or my version of it for everyone.

FISH TACOS

Fish: You can use any type of fish, although Tilapia is the most popular. Most people like to use a beer batter recipe for the fish. I don’t like to eat a lot of fried food, and to keep it simple I use Waterfront Bistro “Chili Lime Tortilla Crusted” Tilapia. Or I bake fish in the oven then coat it with corn meal and seasonings and throw them in a skillet with olive oil for a minute or two.

Shredded Red Cabbage. I can usually buy a half a head, shred it and throw what is left in salad the rest of the week. Or I just use spring mix. It tastes good too on fish tacos.

Corn tortillas: I put a little oil in a large pan and cook the tortilla a little on each side. Just enough to get it a little brown and crisp. But not too crispy so it won’t fold over.

Shredded cheddar cheese *optional


Spiced Yogurt and Mayo White Sauce


• fresh lime juice
• ½ cup yogurt
• ½ mayonnaise
• 1 habenero chili (use a milder one if you wish)
• ½ teaspoon - crushed oregano
• ½ teaspoon - ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon - dried, crushed dill
• ½ teaspoon - ground cayenne chile
• ground white pepper to taste
First mix the first three ingredients, aiming for a slightly runny consistency. Dice the chili and finely as possible and add it along with the remaining ingredients. Watch out for the habeneros, they can knock your tongue for a loop. You're done.

I use jalapenos instead of habeneros, it tastes just as good. And I don’t carry all the spices listed so I just use McCormick Perfect Pinch Savory All Purpose Seasoning. It tastes good as well. Lime juice is a must. It won’t taste right without the lime.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment